Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Hate being interviewed for a job?

Don’t you hate being interviewed for a job? What is worse is doing it when you know more than the young person interviewing you.

A few years ago I had a break in between businesses I had help create. My wife asked me, “What are you planning on doing?” I had no idea! Usually I have had a number of businesses ideas I had been working on, but at this time there was nothing. My wife suggested I should work for someone else and get a pay check like everyone else. I thought, why not? I would have a pretty good resume and some great company would be lucky to have me, right?

I filled out a resume and I have to say, it looked pretty good, especially for a college drop-out. I had started a number of successful companies and knew the inside workings of a business. I had hired, fired, met payrolls, raised money, sold products, marketed and was great a giving customer service. My next step was to send my resume to those businesses who could use someone with my skills.

I wasn’t expecting what followed next. I realized that I would be sending my resume to HR departments and that younger people with little experience in life was going to interview me. I realized that young people would end up being my boss. I would be reporting to a boss! The thought hit me like a ton of bricks. A wave of emotion swept over me. It was a feeling I hated and knew could never happen. I hadn’t had a boss for over 25 years and I knew it was something I hated.

No interviews for me! I decided to use my knowledge to start a business and franchise consulting business. After all, who know more about franchising than me? Well, I guess there might be some and maybe a lot, but I just don’t know of many.

If you hate the thought of being interviewed, start a business and be the boss. Most will never regret the decision of being the owner. Once you have been one, you’ll never want to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment